Monday, January 31, 2011

The Month in Review- January 2011 Edition

Image courtesy of handheldmuseum.com

January 2011 is almost officially in the books. This is the time of year when most of us begin to reclassify our bold resolutions as mere goals for the year ahead.  "I will exercise every day" turns into, "I will lose 10 pounds."  One is action oriented, the other is aspirational.

My overarching theme these year is "Excellence is Deliberate."  That means that in every area of my life where excellence is desired, my actions must be intentional.  Here's a quick update on this month's progress toward my goals.


On the financial front:  I started a 12 week Financial Freedom class at a local church that provides an excellent overview on topics like debt management, budgeting, insurance, investing, retirement planning and more.  I have already updated several of our insurance needs and begun the painful task of facing our financial situation realistically.  My goal for February is to meet in person with a financial expert for some specific advice on our situation.

On the career front:  It has now been 21 days since my final interview for a job I have been pursuing for the last seven months.  I just got an email  yesterday requesting further information. Getting this job has become a crucial ingredient in our recipe for financial success in 2011. I know that they have NO IDEA how badly I need this position.   Sometimes in moments of doubt (usually when funds are short), I imagine my coffee stained  resume crumpled in the corner of the managing partner's desk while he discusses everything but an offer with my name on it.  He's probably sitting there talking about the Super Bowl right now. UGH. 

My head is telling me to just shake it off and start actively pursuing job opportunities elsewhere again. My heart is saying, just stick it out a few more weeks.  My finances are demanding that I do both.  Fortunately, I updated several versions of my resume this month so I can begin to immediately start seeking other opportunities this week.

On the Blog front:  First of all, thanks for reading!!  I am starting to see an increase in blog traffic and it's always great to hear from readers through comments. Please take the time to comment on any and every post!! In January I finally realized the cathartic power of blogging through my life experiences.  There is much more to come.  This past weekend I spent several hours exploring interesting blogs around the web.  One of my favorites is bloggingforbranding.com.  It is authored by a young black woman named Rosetta Thurman who is also the creator of a  cool blog called happyblackwoman.com.  Both blogs are well written and provide great information and inspiration for the blogging novice and/or budding entrepreneur.  I love the fact that Ms. Thurman quit her job in 2009 to start a consulting business and she hasn't looked back since.  Awesome!!!     I have signed up to take her 31 days to a brand new blog challenge starting February 1, 2011.  Stay tuned for big improvements:)

Gotta run,

3 comments:

  1. Be positive and your dream job will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's exciting to watch your and other friends blogs grow. I want to write a comment on almost every one of your blog posts, then I look at the time, like now(1:19am) and I think of whatever else awaits me(the bed for a few hours of sleep before my infant wakes up to nurse). Here's a pinky promise-I will post a comment on every post for the rest of the year-even if its one word. GN

    ReplyDelete