Friday, May 11, 2012

Thank You, Mr. President.



Maya Angelou got it right, "When people show you who they are, believe them." Yesterday, the President took off the mask- and I believe him.  When he repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell, I turned the other cheek toward economic issues.  When his administration refused to defend the Defense of Marriage Act, I chalked it up to Presidential prerogative.  But yesterday, he removed all doubt that he supports the redefinition of marriage to include same-sex couples.  My first reaction to the news was an audible gasp.  Then anger.  Then sadness.  Then grief over the fact that I can no longer support his re-election campaign.    

I was one of those "Independent Voters" who helped Obama get over the hump the first time around.   Back then, I was willing to compromise my adamant opposition to abortion-on-demand to support a pro-abortion candidate like Obama, because I thought he was clearly the better choice to lead, and the thought of Sarah Palin anywhere NEAR the White House was both hilarious and terrifying.  As an African-American, the Martin Luther King--Barack Obama narrative was also hard to resist when I watched him accept the Democratic Nomination on the forty fifth anniversary of the famous "I Have a Dream Speech."  It was "Eyes on the Prize" meets "We Shall Overcome" meets "Young Gifted and Black" meets "The Cosby Show" - a spectacular evolution of perseverance and black excellence on display for the World.   Just thinking about how I felt in that moment still gives me chills.  I volunteered as a poll-worker for his campaign during the 2008 election and felt the weight of history on my side when we realized that he'd won our polling location.  I remember the feeling of ecstatic disbelief when the networks announced his victory.  Pure joy. 

This time around, I was already gearing up to go the distance.  I've been sporting my "Obama 2012" tee-shirt for months, making plans to volunteer for the campaign and scheming to get a ticket to the 2012 Democratic convention in North Carolina.   That's all behind me now.

I believe in marriage between one man and one woman.  Period.    Despite what activists in the other camp would have you believe about the demographics of this issue, my opinion remains unchanged even when viewed through the lens of a law degree and law licenses in two states.  Access to an expensive and completely liberally-biased education and the so-called knowledge that accompanies it haven't succeeded in dampening my fervor for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and my duty to stand for Biblical principles.  I think any honest person who has actually read the Bible will acknowledge that it doesn't mince words on the issue of homosexual behavior.  It is condemned. No matter how people try to twist the Scripture or ignore its authority, on this issue the Bible is clear.  To think that people who name the name of Christ would completely ignore what the Bible has to say to not only endorse homosexual behavior, but to try to redefine the definition of marriage to affirm it is sickening.   That said, I can't support a Presidential Candidate -even the "great" Barack Obama, with whom I so vehemently disagree.

I suspect there are tough times ahead (politically) for our President.  He will continue to be in my prayers, but from a greater distance. I wish him well (personally).  As for me, there are also some tough decisions ahead- can I stomach a vote for Mitt Romney?  Highly doubtful, but time will tell.

See Obama's comments below.

  video platform video management video solutions video player

No comments:

Post a Comment